Table of Contents
Using RIMMF. Tutorial #14, Create a Work, Expression, and Manifestation from scratch (Build WEM)
In this tutorial, we are going to create a set of records (Work, Expression, and Manifestation) for a resource, when we cannot find any existing records to copy or clone.
RIMMF includes a shortcut for creating these records sets, we call it Build WEM.
- Open RIMMF
- Make sure that you are using the 'Goudge' data folder that you created in Tutorial #1
- If necessary, change to that data folder (see: Change to a different folder of RIMMF records)
Alternate: Use a pre-built folder
If you want to jump to this tutorial without doing the previous tutorials, follow the "Download Web Folder" instructions and download the following folder from our website:
If you intend to use this file to proceed through the remaining tutorials, remember that it is located in your '\RIMMF3\imports\zip' folder.
Create a new record for the Manifestation
- Start from the Main Menu
- Choose: File | New Record for … | Manifestation
- Choose a template: <manifestation template TMQ.Book.Pub.Simple.txt>
Remember that some data will be filled in for you by the special template that you are using.
- Fill in the following data, if it is not already provided for you:
Title Proper: The valley of song Statement of Responsibility Relating to Title Proper: Elizabeth Goudge Statement of Responsibility Relating to Title Proper: illustrated by Richard Floethe Place of Publication: New York Publisher's Name: Coward-McCann Date of Publication:  Copyright Date: ©1951 --press <Shift><F1> to make the © Mode of Issuance: single unit Media Type: unmediated Carrier Type: volume Number of units: 281 Type of Unit (Text): pages Dimensions: 22 cm
- Click on the 'Extent Statement' box to autofill it
- Click on the 'Composite Key' Text box
Create a new record for the Work
- <F5> in the Expression Manifested Text box
- Select <Create New Work>
- Select <work template TMQ.aSimple.txt>
Certain Work data will be autofilled for you by the Build WEM process from data that you provided in the Manifestation: - 'Preferred Title for the Work' (copied from Title Proper) - 'Date of Work' (copied from Date of Publication) - 'Source Consulted' (compiled from Title Proper and Date of Publication)
- Remove the initial article from the 'Preferred Title for the Work' and capitalize the first word of the Title
- Change 'Date of Work' to: 1951
As per the Goudge article in Wikipedia
- Change the 'Creator' label to 'Author'
- Link to the Author, already in the EI:
- <Link to (EI)>
- Select: Goudge, Elizabeth, 1900-1984
- Click on the 'Authorized Access Point' Text box
Notice that the AAP changes from Title only to Name/Title and RIMMF autofills a Variant Access Point with the Title only
- Enter 'fully established' for 'Status of Identification'
Create a new record for the Expression
- <F5> in the Expression of Work Text box
- Select <Create New expression>
- Select <expression template TMQ.Text.Eng.txt>
Certain Expression data is provided as constant data because of the template you chose: - 'Content Type': Text - 'Language of Expression': English Other data will be autofilled for you by the Build WEM process from data that you provided in the Work or Manifestation: - 'Date of Expression' (copied from Date of Publication) - 'Authorized Access Point' (compiled from the AAP of the Work + Language of Expression) - 'Source Consulted' (compiled from Title Proper and Date of Publication)
- Enter 'Status of Identification': fully established
- Go back to the Manifestation record
Notice the illustrator statement; so we should probably add an 'Illustrator' relationship at the Expression level.
Add a link in the Expression to the Illustrator
- Return to the Expression
- Change the 'Contributor' label to 'Illustrator'
- Click on the label
- Type 'Ill'
- Click in the Text box for 'Illustrator
- <Link to (EI)>
- Press enter to select: Floethe, Richard
- Save the record
View the R-Tree
- Click <R-Tree>, from the Work record
- Click on the Goudge heading
- <Ctrl+R> to switch to the R-Tree for Goudge
Notice that all of the relationship labels are correctly given as 'Author of'
End this Tutorial
- Close everything
If you are finished playing with RIMMF for now, close RIMMF. If you want to proceed, go to Tutorial #15