Table of Contents
Using RIMMF. Tutorial #15, Import a Bib record with plates and a Person as Subject
In this tutorial, we are going to learn about importing an LC Bib record that has a few interesting issues:
- Search for Bib by ISBN
- No Work or Expression NAF record is available
- Manifestation includes plates
- Work has subject Person
- Open RIMMF
- Make sure that you are using the 'Goudge' data folder that you created in Tutorial #1
- If necessary, change to that data folder (see: Change to a different folder of RIMMF records)
Alternate: Use a pre-built folder
If you want to jump to this tutorial without doing the previous tutorials, follow the "Download Web Folder" instructions and download the following folder from our website:
If you intend to use this file to proceed through the remaining tutorials, remember that it is located in your '\RIMMF3\imports\zip' folder.
Find, View and Import the Manifestation Record
- Change the Search Source to '[BIB]ISBN'
- Search: 0698106059
- <View MARC> for “The joy of the snow”
- Click the down arrow by the <Import> button
- Select <Selected records>
- Click <OK> for '3 records imported'
Check the Manifestation
- Double-click on the Manifestation heading in the R-Tree
Notice that the 'Extent statement' shows aggregate data that did not map into individual elements: "319 p.,  leaves of plates" You need to add the missing data manually. WARNING: do not click on the Extent Statement until you have done the following steps.
- Put your cursor on the Text box for the 'Type of Unit (Text)' element, i.e. “pages”
- Type: 'Number of units'
- Type: 8
- Type: 'Type of Unit (Text)'
- Choose: 'unnumbered leaves of plates' from the list
- Click the Text box for 'Extent statement'
Make sure that it is displaying the data in the correct order, if it is not, then rearrange the order of the element data so that it will display as it should
- Save the record
Check the Expression
- Go to the Expression ([E] button)
Look at the MARC record, to see whether there is anything you could add or edit in the Expression data. Notice that RIMMF correctly mapped "Includes index" as Supplementary Content
Check the Work
- Go to the Work
Notice that the MARC record has a 600 for the author, and RIMMF has correctly brought that over as a Subject relationship.
- Change the 'Subject relationship' label to 'Subject (person)'
- Right-click on the label
- Select 'Subject (person)'
View the R-Tree
- Click <R-Tree>, from the Work record
Notice we have Goudge as both Author and Subject.
End this Tutorial
- Close everything
If you are finished playing with RIMMF for now, close RIMMF. If you want to proceed, go to Tutorial #16