Table of Contents
Using RIMMF. Tutorial #16, Import a Bib record for a Manifestation of an Expression that has different Contributors
In this tutorial, we are going to learn about importing a Bib record when a possible matching Expression is present, but has different Contributors
- Open RIMMF
- Make sure that you are using the 'Goudge' data folder that you created in Tutorial #1
- If necessary, change to that data folder (see: Change to a different folder of RIMMF records)
Alternate: Use a pre-built folder
If you want to jump to this tutorial without doing the previous tutorials, follow the "Download Web Folder" instructions and download the following folder from our website:
If you intend to use this file to proceed through the remaining tutorials, remember that it is located in your '\RIMMF3\imports\zip' folder.
Find and Display the R-Tree for "I saw three ships"
- <Crtl+E> to open the EI
- Find and select “Goudge, Elizabeth, 1900-1984. I saw three ships”
- Open in R-Tree
- Expand the Expression
Notice the Illustrator of this Expression: "Tomes, Margot"
Find and Export a Bib Record from the LC Catalog
- <F3> to open Search and Retrieve Tool
- Click the down arrow by the <Links> button
- Click <http://catalog.loc.gov/>
- Quick Search: “I saw three ships” Goudge
- Open the record for: “I saw three ships ; illustrated by Richard Kennedy.”
- Click the <Save Record> option (far left of the screen)
- Save format MARC (Unicode/UTF-8) is ok
- Click <Save>
- Save the record to somewhere where you can find it easily (e.g., your Desktop)
Unless you rename it, the record will be called 'records.mrc'.
Import the Bib Record
- Find the record
- Drag and drop the record onto the RIMMF Main Menu
Remember that this process works exactly like an <F3> import does
Remember that you already have an Expression for this Work (see above) with a different illustrator: "Tomes, Margaret" Before you actually import the MARC record, check it, to see whether it lists the same illustrator.
- Open the Manifestation record in the import R-Tree
- Open the Source MARC record for it (Options » Show Source)
Because the MARC record includes a 7XX for a different person than the person attached to the existing Expression, RIMMF is going to create a new Expression and import the new Contributor
- Return to the import R-Tree
- Click the down arrow by the <Import> button
- Select <Selected records>
- Click <OK> for '3 records imported'
Check the Manifestation
- Double-click on the Manifestation heading in the R-Tree
- View the source record:
Looks OK, based on the quality (bad) of the source record.
Check the Expression
- Go to the Expression ([E] button)
Check that the AAP for the new Expression is unique.
- Go to the Work ([W] button)
- Open its R-Tree
Notice that there are now two Expressions, with the same headings. Go back to the Expression you just made, and we will add its date to its heading, to make it unique
Make the Expression headings unique
- In the Expression record that we just made:
- Tick the AAP check box for 'Date of Expression'
- Click on the AAP for the Expression
- Save the record
View the R-Tree
- Click <R-Tree>, from the Work record
- Expand both Expressions
See the two Illustrators and two Manifestations
End this Tutorial
- Close everything
If you are finished playing with RIMMF for now, close RIMMF. If you want to proceed, go to Tutorial #17