Table of Contents
Using RIMMF. Tutorial #9, Clone a Manifestation and Expression
In this tutorial, we are going to look for a Manifestation, view a possible match that is already in the EI, and learn about cloning a Manifestation and Expression.
- Open RIMMF
- Make sure that you are using the 'Goudge' data folder that you created in Tutorial #1
- If necessary, change to that data folder (see: Change to a different folder of RIMMF records)
Alternate: Use a pre-built folder
If you want to jump to this tutorial without doing the previous tutorials, follow the "Download Web Folder" instructions and download the following folder from our website:
If you intend to use this file to proceed through the remaining tutorials, remember that it is located in your '\RIMMF3\imports\zip' folder.
Search for a Manifestation
We are going to look for a record for an ebook version of Pilgrim's Inn Hendrickson Publishers Marketing, LLC ISBN 978-1-61970-142-7 First eBook edition -- April 2013
- Change the Search Source to '[BIB]Title'
- Search: Pilgrim's Inn
- Look just below the <Search> button
Notice that RIMMF says we already have 3 records in the EI, that match what we searched: "3:RIMMF EI" in blue
- Click on that notification
This takes us to the EI, where we see 3 headings highlighted. The heading for: "Pilgrim's inn. Hendrickson Publishers Marketing. 2013. Volume" looks close, except for "Volume"; we need "Online resource" Let's say we can't find a Bib record for the ebook, anywhere; so we will clone the Volume data that we have to make it into data for an online resource.
Clone the Manifestation
- Double-click on the “Hendrickson” heading
- Select File | Clone record
- Read more about 'cloning' **HERE**
If you are certain that you will be able to use the Expression data that was linked to the Manifestation that you cloned, then choose <Keep relationships>. If you are not certain about this, then choose <Remove relationships>, and check the Expression data later. For now, let us say that we are not certain.
- Select <Remove relationships>
- Select the template: <manifestation template TMQ.txt>
- Click <OK>
- Click <Add record>
Now, let's see what we have to add or change in this new record.
No change to 'Title Proper'
No change to 'Statement of Responsibility'
- Change 'Designation of Edition' to: First eBook edition
- Place cursor in the Text box
- <F6> to clear the contents
- Enter the new statement
No change to 'Place of Publication'
- Change 'Publisher's Name' to: Hendrickson Publishers Marketing, LLC
- Change 'Date of Publication' to: April 2013
No change to 'Title Proper of Series' or 'Numbering within Series' or 'Mode of Issuance'
- Add data for 'Identifier for the Manifestation': ISBN 978-1-61970-142-7
- Change 'Media Type' to: computer
- Change 'Carrier Type' to: online resource
- Change 'Number of units' to: 1
- Click on 'Type of Unit (Text)' and change it to 'Type of Unit (Other)'
- Click on the Text box
- Type: online resource
- Click on the Text box for 'Extent statement' to update it
- Click on the Text box for 'Dimensions'
- Right-click on the element options column and select <Clear>; or press <F6>
- Find element: 'File Type'
- Click on any element label
- Type: File
- RIMMF jumps to the first matching element label
- Add data for 'File Type': text file
- Add data for 'Equipment or System Requirement': Requires Kindle reader
- Click on the Text box for 'Composite Key' to update it
Check Whether an Expression already in the EI can be Used
- Right-click on the Text box for 'Expression Manifested'; or press <F5>
- Select <Check EI for Expression>
- Select: “Goudge, Elizabeth, 1900-1984. Herb of grace. Text. English”
Because you selected <Check for Expression> rather than <Link to (EI)>; the record is opened rather than being immediately linked-to; which is good, because you need to check the data for this Expression to see whether it applies to your new Manifestation, or whether you need to clone this data to make a new Expression record.
- Switch template <Ctrl+Alt+T> to: <expression template TMQ.txt>
This template will show you expression elements that have not yet been provided for this Expression, but that you might need for your new resource. 'Content Type' is still: text 'Language of Expression' is still: English Accept 'Date of Expression': 1993 (for the first date of the English text expression)
As far as I can see, no additional expression elements shown in the expanded template, are needed for the new resource; so we can link our new Manifestation to the existing Expression.
Link the Manifestation to the Existing Expression
- Click on the last 'Manifestation of Expression' in the Expression record
- <F2> to copy the element
- Click on the Text box of the new element
- Select <Link to (Open)>
- Select the online resource version
- Save the record
View the R-Tree for your set
- Click on the [W] button
- Open the R-Tree
- Expand the English Expression heading
Note that we now have 4 manifestations in English. Just for fun,
- Right-click on the heading for: Eliots of Damerosehay saga (Series)
- Select <R-Tree this>
- Expand the heading for: Herb of grace
- Dig just the heading for the English Expression <Ctrl+D>
Notice that starting with the Eliots of Damerosehay saga (Series) takes us to all manifestations of the "Herb of grace" work even the ones that do not have that series as a Title Proper of Series
End this Tutorial
- Close everything
If you are finished playing with RIMMF for now, close RIMMF. If you want to proceed, go to Tutorial #10